Recently I have been back creating Wix installers and unfortunately I came across a a bug in the RC0 that was causing issues with my Burn bootstrapper. This had already been fixed in the latest sources so I went ahead and built the latest sources. This wasn’t as easy as I though it would be so here are the steps I needed to take:
- Install the Windows SDK 7.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279) (I just did a full install)
- Install Mercurial (http://mercurial.selenic.com/)
- Clone the latest Wix sources into a local folder (hg clone https://hg.codeplex.com/wix)
- Change directory to the new wix folder.
- Switch to the Wix36 branch (hg update wix36).
- Setup an environment variable called WIX_ROOT pointing to your newly downloaded sources (In my case C:\source\codeplex\wix).
- Open up a VS2010 command prompt in administrator mode and navigate to the WIX_ROOT path.
- Run make.bat.
Now once that is completed, hopefully you should only have non-fatal errors and warnings an if that is the case the latest wix installer will be located under %WIX_ROOT%\build\debug\x86\release\%WIX_VERSION%\.