Recently I have been giving the Gallio test suite a go. I have been looking at it for several reasons. Primarily the RollbackAttribute for some integration tests (although also looking at Moq so not sure which route I’ll take yet!).
At first I was a bit stumped trying to get the Gallio Resharper plugin working, it installed fine and was listed in the Resharper plugin dialog but was coming with an “Unsupported” Message:
It took me a while to find out why but it was due me referencing an old version of the MbUnit dll that wasn’t compatible with the Resharper plugin. Once updated with the latest version the plugin works fine :D:
As always there is a moral to this story, ALWAYS use the right dll’s!! 🙂
For ages I’ve been merging a bit blind when trying to merge multiple files at once in TFS. This is due to the strange options you get that don’t really make any sense for the task in hand! Luckily I managed to find a post from Richard Berg who explains the options for you. Check it out here
I am so fed up of this situation (and a few others but that can wait for another day! ;)) at work I am seriously considering moving on to pastures new. Unfortunately with the current situation jobs are a bit more scarce than I’d like so I won’t actually hand my notice in till I have actually found a new job. Anyway I digress, back to the topic in hand, restriction of the internet from software developers.
Basically the company I work for is a large multi-national recruitment company so understandably there are lots of users in the company who barely know how to open word. Therefore (quite obviously) there is a fairly strict domain policy and a proxy which blocks a large parts of the Internet. Unfortunately this is not only applied to the consultants but also to all the developers in the company. Now I have tried many times to get these lifted, especially the filtering of the web, as this is actually stopping us doing our work (most of the domain policies are just irritating like hiding the c drive).
For example the majority of software developers use strange things called blogs to post hints and tips so that other users can benefit from their posts and not spend hours trying to fix issues themselves. Obviously the longer you have been a developer a lot of these resolutions will be etched on the inside of your skull for the small imps running around your head to read when required but even the most seasoned developers need to use google and the blogs they are usually written on to research things.
Now for the most stupid part of all this, it’s actually quite easy to bypass all this by using google cached pages as a kind of proxy. What company in their right mind would block google?!?!? Anyway all of this slows down the productivity of the developer and reduces the velocity of the project. Now just image that you are paying the developer £30,000 (kind of the average for someone with 3 years experience) this works out at approx £15 ph. Now with a fairly conservative estimate I would lose about 15mins an hour due to these problems, which works out at 2 hours per day (for those of you still at primary school maths that works out at £30). Now multiply that by 5×52 we get £7800 a year, not an insignificant amount at all. Now tbh this is very conservative, I’ve known developers to waste days try to resolve something and if they had un-restricted access I’m sure that it would come down to hours.
And this is even before I’ve taken into consideration the 3.5 year old machines some of the developers have to use…
Anyway rant over, it’s 4.30AM and once again I’m still at work because if I don’t release this update to the website some cute kitten will be sacraficed in the name of corporate pride.
Once again I got the error “ASPPARSE: Could not load type ProjectNamespace.Global” whilst setting up a build. It’s one of those strange errors that you only come across every so often so I thought (mostly for my own reference! :)) I’d post it on here!!
Basic the issue arises due to the WebDeployment expecting the project outputs to be in the bin folder which is not the case on Team build. Thanks to Aaron Hallberg who posted the fix here (he should know a bit about it, he works on the team that develops TeamBuild!).
Just found and installed the CodeColour plugin by Dmytro Shteflyuk (See here and (no I’ve no idea how to pronounce his name either ;)). It’s easy to find in the plugin list and I’m really happy with it so far (I’ve only done one snippet so far though! :o) )